Sunday, June 17, 2012

Reading Burns Calories

So Jeffrey and I have decided we are too fat and unhealthy and we need to lose weight.  Well, I used the word "fat", not Jeffrey. Trust me, he wouldn't use that word on me even though he knows I use it on myself. Jeffrey just agrees we need to lose weight.

We decided this 2 years ago when Wyatt was born, so we joined a gym. And stopped going.
We decided this 1 year ago when I got pregnant, so we bought a used elliptical. And didn't use it.
We decided this again just after Briley was born and now, we've actually started taking action.

About two weeks ago, Jeffrey started using the elliptical. At first, I have to admit, I was impressed. Neither one of us have been on this thing since I got pregnant. But on the other hand, I'm going "Crap. Now I have to do it." See, when we first bought the elliptical, I made Jeffrey a promise; I would get on the machine every day that he did.

So I got my rear-end on the elliptical and did 10 minutes. I thought I was going to die... collapse on the blasted machine, knock myself out and end up sprawled out on the floor of my son's playroom. I did just over 1 mile that night but I thought it would never end.

Over the next few days I tried to force my way to longer times or distances, but it took me almost a week to get a clue. Read. Seriously, I plop my NookColor up on the elliptical and start reading. I love to read, but even though I've been on maternity leave for the last few weeks, I don't have the time. I'm doing a thousand other mommy and wife duties and have no time to myself. Now I do.

I've discovered that not only does exercising give me an excuse to be "alone", but I can actually read my book(s) and burn calories. Finish a chapter and it's been 15 minutes; two or three chapters and I'm rocking!! Now I'm doing 30+ minutes a day, 3+ miles, and I finally found a way to look forward to exercising. It may have taken me a while, but something finally clicked and last week... I lost TWO POUNDS. That may not sound like much to you, but to me, it's a step in the right direction.

Here's looking forward to working out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment